Please call your State Senator TODAY!
The Massachusetts State Senate has just released S.2769, An Act putting patients first. The legislation includes aspects of telemedicine and makes key changes to some healthcare professions – notably granting independent practice authority to Nurse Practitioners, Nurse Anesthetists, and Psychiatric Nurse Mental Health Specialists. The press release issued by the Senate notes that it is meant to codify some of the Emergency Executive Orders put in place during the COVID-19 pandemic in order to make permanent changes that have proved beneficial to patient care and access.
A March 2020 Emergency Order removed the requirement that PAs file a supervising physician with the Commonwealth and this has proven very successful in giving hospitals and healthcare institutions increased flexibility and autonomy in how they have leveraged PAs throughout this pandemic. However, PAs are notably MISSING from this legislation and we must ensure that we are included as a valued member of the Massachusetts healthcare landscape.
Therefore, we are asking now for your help in securing passage of the below Amendment #33:
- Amendment 33 to S.2769, Removing Barriers to Care for Physician Assistants, proposed by Senator Harriette Chandler. This amendment would change the current statute governing physician assistant practice by removing the state requirement that a PA practice under a supervising physician.
And NOW We Need Your HELP!
We want to ensure that as many Senators as possible sign on to Amendment #33 to S 2769 as co-sponsors. The deadline for co-sponsorship is Thursday, June 25th when the bill is taken up on the Senate floor during the formal session.
Current Action Steps:
We are asking you to make ONE call/email today:
1. To your current State Senator
Calling your State Senator:
2. Call your State Senator in the Massachusetts legislature (listed on www.wheredoivotema.com as “State Senator”). It is also fine to speak with an aide. Ask to speak to an aide who is dealing with bills related to health care.
3. What to say:
a. I am calling on behalf of the Massachusetts Association of Physician Assistants (MAPA). As a Physician Assistant (PA), and your constituent, I am asking you to sign onto Amendment #33 to S.2769, which is extremely important to me and my profession.
4. Please co-sponsor Amendment #33 filed by Senator Harriette Chandler. This amendment would change the current statute governing physician assistant practice by removing the state requirement that a PA practice under a supervising physician.
5. This change makes permanent aspects of a March 2020 Executive Order issued by DPH which has proven very successful in the 3 months since its issuance.
6. Thank them for their time. If they have any questions, and you are unsure of the answer, simply say you do not know but will call them back. Please contact our government affairs consultant Kathryn Jason at email@example.com to help you get the answer.
THANK YOU for your support of MAPA and your profession!